Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
Marshall Rosenberg, PhD is the creator of a method of communication called “nonviolent communication” and director of educational services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization whose vision is a world where everyone’s needs are met peacefully. Rosenberg has developed training methods which help prevent and resolve conflicts in schools, businesses, health care centers, prisons, community groups and families and are in use world-wide.
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), NVC, and Montessori Philosophy
Children born today absorb the collective thoughts and emotions of their culture. With the philosophy of Maria Montessori and the tools of non-violent communication our cultures may become mindful, and change from a process that emphasizes violence in social life to a healing process that leads to peace.
Rosenberg's techniques to examine feelings and needs provide a pathway for rethinking the role that emotions play in communication. His ideas invite us to explore the emotions and the needs we have unconsciously embedded in the realm of human language and culture. His efforts provide a perspective for consideration that offers mutual benefits for high school students, children, and families. (See article for more)
The slides below depict this process being used in the Montessori Lab School at Ballard High School from 2006 to 2010.
HUMAN DEVELOPMENT / PARENTING / EMOTIONS
· The Science of Parenting – Margot Sunderland, foreword by Jaak Panksepp, Ph.D
· Tools of the Mind – Elena Bodrova & Deborah J. Leong
· The Child and the Curriculum and The School and Society – John Dewey
· Working in the Reggio Way – Julianne Wurm
· Endangered Minds – Jane Healy, Ph.D
· Your Child's Growing Mind – Brain Development and Learning from Birth to Adolescence – Jane Healy, Ph.D
· Parenting from the Inside Out – Daniel Siegel, M.D. & Mary Hartzell, M.Ed.
· Conscious Discipline – Dr. Becky Bailey
· Raising Children Compassionately – Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D
· Molecules of Emotion – Candace B. Pert, Ph.D
· Temple Grandin: “The world needs all kinds of minds” (TED Talk)
· Sir Ken Robinson - “Changing Education Paradigms” (RSA Animate Short Video)
· www.goodatdoingthings.com – Dr. Steven Hughes, Neuroscientist
· The Absorbent Mind – Maria Montessori
· How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way – Tim Selden
· Montessori - A Modern Approach – Paula Polk Lillard
· Food and Healing – Annemarie Colbin
· Healing Foods – Miriam Polunin
· Creative Food Experiences for Children – Mary Goodwin and Gerry Pollen